Monday, January 4, 2010

Chapter Fourteen



Due to irreconcilable differences concerning my next manuscript submission, my agent and I divorced. He wanted to invest several months in editing the book, and I objected. It was a disagreement we simply could not get past.

Stupid on my part?

Probably.

He is smart, experienced, and connected.

But upon resigning my officer’s commission in the Marine Corps, I did so with the promise to myself that never again would I be in situation, no matter how noble, where I was not free to do as I pleased.

And when I dropped out of the white-collar rat race—after 14 years of betrayals and bad gambles-- I did so with the promise to myself that I would never again take orders contradicting the course of my heart. Because of these decisions, I am free.

And when forced to gamble, I bet on me.

And in my opinion, my next submission, the humorous history of the United States, is ready.


Foolish? Wise?

I don’t know.

I just know that it’s foolish to learn a lesson, then make the same mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment